Basic theories of probability and statistics. Sampling distribution, methods of estimation and hypothesis testing; goodness of fit and tests for independence; analysis of variance, regression and correlation.
Co-reqs: One of MATH 100, MATH 102, MATH 104, MATH 180, MATH 184, MATH 190.
- Students who need a good introductory applied statistics course with biological examples and who are unable to take the on-campus version of this course.
- Students in the various programs offered by the Faculties of Forestry and Land and Food Systems.
- (a) Students with a general interest in statistics; (b) Access Studies students improving addressing deficiencies in their academic backgrounds prior to professional registration; and (c) students in natural resource programs at other universities interested in completing a good, introductory applied statistics course.
- Lesson 1: Statistical Measures And Descriptions Of Data
- Lesson 2: Probability
- Lesson 3: Distribution Of Random Variables
- Lesson 4: Discrete And Continuous Distributions
- Lesson 5: Sampling Distributions
- Lesson 6: Estimation Of Parameters
- Lesson 7: Hypothesis Testing On Means And Proportions
- Lesson 8: Tests Concerning Variances, Goodness-Of-Fit, And Independence
- Lesson 9: Analysis Of Variance
- Lesson 10: Simple Linear Regression
- Assignment: There are five assignments to submit, one at the end of each even-numbered lesson. Check your course schedule for the dates that the assignments should reach your instructor. Assignments count for 30% of your final course mark.
- Quiz: To test the key concepts of each topic in the lessons a number of quizzes should be answered on canvas. Check the canvas page whether you have access to those quizzes. Your instructor will post a practice quiz in the first week of the course. Quizzes count for 10% of the final grade.
- Final Exam: In order to write the final examination, all assignments must be completed within due dates and submitted to the instructor for marking. The final exam is worth 60% of the final grade.
- Kozak, A., R.A. Kozak, C.L. Staudhammer and S.B.Watts, Introductory Probability and Statistics: Applications for Forestry & the Natural Sciences, CAB International, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, UK, reprint 2012